Turning Proof of Stake yield into fixed-income products
Trillions of dollars are currently sitting in negative-yield bonds, with hundreds of trillions more having their purchasing power eroded by negative real rates. Meanwhile, in crypto, the Proof of Stake industry generates 6.5% annually for the $275 billion of staked capital used for verifying blockchain transactions.
What would a bond-like fixed income product that derives its yield from Proof of Stake look like? Can it be done, and what are the challenges of making it a reality? What role would such a product play in building crypto’s still non-existent interest rate markets?
Research paper contents:
- The nature of blockchain creates yield opportunities
- Yields in traditional finance
- Today's crypto yields and the "worst-case" yield
- Hedging against market risk and hedging difficulties
- What would this fixed-income product look like?
- Is staking yield the lowest risk “risk-free rate” of crypto?
- Theory versus practice — comments from industry experts